What we do
The Winnicott Foundation raises funds to improve care for premature and sick babies through supporting the neonatal units at St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, and Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospital, Hammersmith.
We work with staff and parents to meet the long-term and day-to-day needs of babies, families and neonatal units.
The charity goes above and beyond what the NHS is able to provide and funds:
- specialist high-tech life-saving equipment
- materials and equipment to make babies more comfortable, such as gel pillows, cot and incubator covers, to reduce noise and light, and special baby clothes.
- Parent support including help with travel costs, groceries and hotel accommodation for families whose babies have been transferred into the units or are very sick
- family rooms and nursery environment, such as reclining cotside chairs to help with skin-to-skin cuddles and breastfeeding, TV, and refurbishment of the parent bedrooms and sitting room
- staff training, helping to increase skill levels in the neonatal unit
- books and information, bereavement support, a hardship fund and parent support groups
- medical research